Monday 10 December 2012

Bitch Form

I am currently an 18 year old (19 on the 4th of January!! Don't forget it!) that is back at sixth form and officially a "year 14". I'm redoing my final year because I needed two more qualifications to get onto the course that I want to do at university - Public Relations. For those of you who don't know the English schooling system, sixth form is for those aged 16 - 18 and is called Year 12/Lower Sixth and Year 13/Upper sixth. I've probably not explained this very well but stay with me. Because I'm redoing a year and am (nearly) 19 not 18, I'm that little bit older and have had three years in sixth form, not the usual two. 

Now, I really like sixth form. We have a reasonable nice common room complete with kettle, microwave and pool table. We have (semi)comfortable seating and it's warm, which is the main thing. We no longer have to hang around outside like strays when it rains. That's always nice. I don't have a full timetable anymore so I have time to catch up on work or, more often, relax with a cup of coffee. But there is a big downfall to being cooped up with a load of people who very often don't get on; 

Sixth Form turns into - in the words of a friend of mine - "Bitch Form". 

In my year group, there were never really too many arguments. There was the occasional spat that kicked off, but it was never really anything big. People bitched about eachother - you're always going to get that - but I think that most of the time the bitching was about people that didn't go to the school any longer. We were a pretty harmonious year that got along as well as a group of people have little in common except that they just so happened to be born in the same year can.  What I've noticed in the year below me - the now year 13s - is that there isn't often a day that passes that someone's not bitching about someone else. I admit, I'm all for a little bitching and I'm not claiming to be a saint who never gossip, but I have never seen anything like I have this year. A group of people will be sat together perfectly happily and then one will walk away and be completely torn apart. Can someone please explain to me how that works? It feels as if you have to stay in your seat from the start of the day until the end or you're risking being absolutely slated because of what you're wearing/your weight/who you're friends with/what you did at the weekend. I know that's the nature of teenagers, but it was never like that in my year group so it's not very pleasant to hear. 

And then there are the intergroup wars. So-and-so hates so-and-so. He hates her because she hates him because he hates her because she said something about him three years ago. I just don't understand it. Different 'groups' sit acrosss from eachother and just stare eachother down despite never really talking to any of the people that they apparently despise. Whatever happened to don't judge a book by its cover? Or don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes?? Apparently it was thrown out the window along with love thy neighbour. 

Personally, I can't be bothered with the ridiculously petty arguments, name calling and mumbled insults that are dished out on a daily basis.
It's nearly Christmas. Let us spread some love, not rumours. 

In other news, my darling friend had her first exhibition of her uni work today (Good Luck Jess!!), my sister sent me some rather amusing photos that brightened up my day an unreasonable amount (see below) and I booked my driving test!! Word of warning : stay off the roads on the 31st of January 2013, people!! 

M x

Such larks. 

And for the love of god, does anyone know what this makeup brush does?! What's its use?! How does it work!? It's a flat fan! How is that productive?!



2 comments:

  1. On behalf of those of us that don't give a crap about the bitching, I'd like to point out that while we do have an impressive little bitch form, there are still plenty of people who just keep to themselves and let the bitching go on without them. That is all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't miss the bitching that goes on in school
    But now I am in the adult world I think sometimes the adults can be worse than the kids x

    ReplyDelete