Thursday 31 July 2014

I'm Back! I Promise!

So again, it has been a while. 
I'm pretty sure that a large percentage of my readers have disappeared and abandoned me and hell, I don't blame them. I spent the best part of a year making myself sound interesting (trying to, at least) so I would have one or two followers and what did I then do? I mistreated them and pushed them away. It's the age old tale of the blogger who didn't blog. It always makes me sob. 

But I'm back and fully planning on keeping my page alive and kicking from now on. We had a health scare, but we're well and truly back to health. 
At least, here's hoping. 

So this is going to be the post that I have done once or twice before where I tell you, the readers I'm not sure exist, what has been going on with my life. 

University
So I finally finished my first year at Bournemouth and am no longer a fresher. It was an uppy downy time in which I didn't know if I were coming or going. Literally. So many times I was close to throwing in the towel and filling in my Tesco application form but the thought of £9000+ debt for jack all is actually a pretty good incentive to keep on truckin'. I know a lot of people who dropped out and I wish them all the luck in the world, but the thought of phoning my mum and telling her I'm coming home is one that will, more than likely, keep me in Bournemouth for the complete four years, come hell or high water. 

I really did enjoy it though, and now that I'm not there for the summer, I really do miss it. I made some incredible friends, four of which I am living with next year, and I'm looking forward to a huge night out when we're all back. It's already long overdue, 

I managed to pass my first year too! Which, you know, is a bonus. 

Work
So I am currently temping. In Devon, where I usually live when not at uni, there are precisely zero job opportunities. Your options there are one of two; 
1) Be a waitress in tiny cafe or restaurant. This involves working for the minimum wage and often having your tips taken away from you because the owners know that you can like it or lump it. This job, more often than not, includes the pleaser of being abused by holiday makers who think that your purpose in life is to serve them and you are an emotionless shell (read last years entries on the perils of the chip shop)

or 

2) Make a very strict budget for the summer accounting for every single penny that you can possibly scrape together and then stick to that budget very very firmly because there is no freaking way you're going to get a job which isn't option A. Devon is a beautiful place but it likes to stick to what it knows. And what it knows is holiday makers spending money in cafes. 

So I'm staying with my sister in Guildford which has significantly more summer job opportunities than at home. I've been working with an agency and have had a couple of random jobs doing different things. Variety is the spice of life, as they say. It's odd being in Guildford when I know that all my friends are at home in Devon doing summery things. The only people I know here are my sister and her boyfriend and they work all through the day whereas I mostly work during the evenings. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't get lonely some times, but it has been absolutely beautiful weather here so I've spent quite a lot of time out in the garden reading. 
Hopefully something a little more involved and permanent comes along soon though. 
But hey who. 
Mustn't grumble.

Play
For someone who has a ridiculous amount of minus money, I have been up to some pretty exciting things. 
Apart from the usual binging of TV series on Netflix (hello Orange is the New Black. I'm looking at you), I've actually been able to get out and do some things. 
My friend and I, Tim, went to see an absolutely amazing band called Post Modern Jukebox in Camden. I couldn't afford it and I shouldn't have gone but by jove am I glad I did. I won't say too much about them now because I fully intend on doing a blog post about them soon (see! more posts! Alive and healthy!) but I will say that they were incredible and such lovely people. They all took the time to hang around afterwards and meet the fans even though they were preparing to go to Amsterdam (I think) an hour after the show. They're one of my favourite bands at the moment and I'm really glad I got the chance to see them. 

I also managed to get back to Camden again and see Bianca Del Rio at the Black Cap. As mentioned in a previous post, I really love the american show Rupaul's Drag Race, a reality show that is kind of an "Americas Next Top Model" but searching for the next drag superstar. It's absolutely amazing, the campest thing you have ever seen and will give you real hope that if these men can look like gorgeous women, with a dash of make up you could be freaking gorgeous. The most recent series hasn't long been finished and I managed, after a long battle with the internet, to get tickets to go and see the (spoilers) winner. Bianca Del Rio, real name Roy Haylock, is more of stand up insult comic than the usual all lip synching, all dancing drag queen. She can read an audience like no other and it was so much fun to see her unleash her quick wit on the audience. I always love going to the Black Cap and the night was so much fun, even though I ended up spending way - and I mean WAY - more money than I intended to. Or have. 

I was home in Devon for a week or two too and managed to have a couple of really good nights out with people I haven't seen in months. It's always nice to see them and have a catch up, especially as a lot of them are at uni and not at home at the same time as me. Devon may not have the clubs and bars that Bournemouth does but it has some amazing people who keep me laughing all night and that, my friends, is priceless (which is good because, you know, you may have caught onto the fact that I am broke). 

So yes. I am very much missing my beautiful Bournemouth and am also longing for the rolling fields of Devon, but it's nice to be here with my sister making some of that dolllaaaa. I guess you can't really complain when there is nothing really to complain about. There is always going to be something else that you want to be doing or someone else that you want to be seeing, but I love my sister a lot and spending so much time with her is really nice. She's a good ol' gal. 

Here's to being back! 

I'll see you soon (and that's a promise!) 

M x 

No comments:

Post a Comment